Search This Blog

Followers

Contact

If interested in advertising,
please contact me by email.



Tip For Keeping A Journal #1

See, Touch and Feel

"What is a diary as a rule? A document useful to the person who keeps it. Dull to the contemporary who reads it and invaluable to the student, centuries afterwards, who treasures it."
~Walter Scott~


ticket
Add photos and bits of history to your journal. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but being able to touch and feel historical items is equally as valuable.

I have journals dating back to when I was fourteen and there are pictures from the T.V. Guide, jokes from Reader's Digest, dried and pressed flower petals and even a candy wrapper. It has been fun for my daughter to step into my teenage years and actually "see" and "feel" it instead of only hearing about it from me. Of course, she thinks I am just so silly to have been "into Reader's Digest" at fourteen years old.

Photos are much easier to retain than in the past. We can take digital photos and not worry about the cost of printing because we can either print only the pictures we like or we do not have to print any of them. If your journal is wide enough, you can create a sleeve to hold a CD/DVD with relevant photos during the time period of the journal.

When taking photos, do not only include perfectly staged "say cheese" photos. Include photos of everyone doing the regular tasks and duties of the day, i.e. washing dishes, folding laundry, vacuuming, changing the oil in the car, and mowing the grass, to name a few. Our lives are filled with these types of moments. Save them not only to memory, but also in photos.

Adding photos and physical pieces related to moments in your life will add personality and depth to your journal and create more interest for those who pick it up to read it some day.

3 comments ♥ ♥ ♥:

Date Girl said...

Great idea about the CD sleeve with pictures from that time period. I used to keep a journal book, but now I'm all about the online journals. I think the old fashioned books are so nice, there's just something about something tangiable isn't there? I also like the tip about taking pictures of everyday activities. Those always turn out to be my favorite.

Teresha@Marlie and Me said...

Never thought of clipping mementos for my journals, but it makes sense...Sort of like making a time capsule.

p.s. I gave you a couple of awards on my blog today.

Yaya said...

Well aren't you organized!

Related Posts with Thumbnails